Plymouth Admirals American Football Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Plymouth Admirals American Football Club

Devon's ONLY senior American Football Team

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

BAFRA Ruling on Backward passes and Fumbles

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Phil Stats

Phil Stats

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-08-19

BAFRA Ruling on Backward passes and Fumbles Empty
PostSubject: BAFRA Ruling on Backward passes and Fumbles   BAFRA Ruling on Backward passes and Fumbles Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 3:43 pm

Some discussion might help in my ruling of the backward pass that was not caught, but picked up and ran in for a touchdown...

Rule 7 Section 2 (Backward Pass and Fumble) -
A backward pass or fumble may be caught or recovered by any inbounds player.
a. If caught, the ball continues in play (A.R. 7-2-2:I and II)
b. If recovered by the fumbling or passing team, the ball continues in play . THIS IS THE RELEVANT SECTION.
c. If recovered by an opponent of the fumbling team, the ball continues in play.
d. If recovered by an opponent of the passing team, the ball continues in play.
e. If a backward pass or fumble is caught or recovered simultaneously by opposing players, the ball becomes dead and belongs to the team last in possession.

As the Ref, I believed the pass was backwards, and therefore when the pass was dropped, the ball was fumbled. No whistle was blown (I believe), and the ball was live.

This also applies to the quick pass to Tim that was dropped and recovered by the Devils.
From my position, Tim was behind the LOS, and when he went to catch the ball in was over his left/back shoulder. With the quick pass, the ball went backwards and was fumbled. The opposition recovered.

I hope this explains the calls made by me on the day, and that it is probably best to jump on the ball if in any doubt.

And never shoot the messenger, as he writes the Stats!!!
Back to top Go down

BAFRA Ruling on Backward passes and Fumbles
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Admirals American Football Club :: Admirals Senior Teamtalk :: Click here to chat to or about the Admirals Senior Team-
Jump to: